Monday, October 19, 2009

Busy week ahead!

We had a great weekend and both agreed it went way too fast! On Saturday we went to the IKEA outside of Mannheim. It was the biggest IKEA I have ever seen! I couldn't believe it or contain my excitement! Thank goodness they put everything on display because we really had no clue what anything said.

I never would have thought that I would learn so much about German culture by going to a Swedish store. The very first thing I learned is that in Germany, you have no personal space. It's nothing to stand right up against someones back, shoulder, and anything else. I like my space, I don't like being able to feel so stranger breathe on me! Second lesson learned- they can't get enough PDA, at all. I'll admit- I couldn't help staring but really there was nothing else you could have done but stare. Then laugh about it later when I'll telling Ben!

It took quite a bit of time to walk through! We needed to check out a coffee table and rugs. The apartment looks like a looker room shower to be honest with you. The floor is white tile and so is everything else, all white. We have a few rugs but need a couple more with everything being tiled. Ikea had some great colorful rugs and even a few on sale! A lot of our things are neutral so we need a little bit of color.

We even ate lunch at Ikea!! It was pretty good actually!! I had pasta and sauce for a huge 1.99euros! Ben got some cordon bleu with french fries and gravy. It was an odd combo but that what goes together for them! It was fun trying to order in German and figure out what in the world they were asking us. Another German fact- all their drinks are carbonated. You name it, they carbonate it. Water, apple juice, orange juice... everything. I was soo thirsty and forget about the fizz, and take a huge drink resulting in hick-ups for the next twenty minutes. I'll learn some day. We tried to make it to the car after lunch but got lost in how they do things at ikea and wound up going through the entire store again just to get to the exit! haha It was kinda funny but by that time we both wanted out!

We thought we would try to shoot down to Heidelberg from Mannheim and take a quick drive through. Ben had his map and set out! I fell asleep. I'm actually a better copilot that way. It was starting to get dusk out and it had been raining so it got darker quicker. Ben found the road he needed but it took a minute to figure out the signs and by that time, thought it would be better just to head back. We came home and got to talk to a good bit of our family which was sooo nice!

We checked out a church on Sunday. It was a Faith Baptist Church and we both enjoyed it. There was a ton of kids, all ages running around which we both really liked about it. Also, it was pretty much all military. We're going to check out a few more and see which one we should be going to. After church we went and scoped out our apartment building. We found it and thought well, since we're here why don't we just see if we can find our apartment. We new the number so we started climbing stairs...and more stairs... and a few more. We made it to the 4th floor and found ours! haha Wow. It's a lot of stairs. We didn't get to see the inside or anything but that's okay. They all look the same. It looks out into some woods which is very nice. We also don't have anyone above us since we're the forth floor. I'll just really have to watch the steps, they can get pretty slick.

My doctors appointment is tomorrow!! YAY! I'll have my blood work and just a check up I believe. My ultrasound isn't until next week. Wednesday is move in day followed by my drivers test on Thursday! It's a very busy week! We probably won't have Internet right away so it may be a little bit till were back on. But don't worry, it'll probably be a novel when I'm back! Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers! We miss you all very much! Talk to you soon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment