Our Judah is doing so awesome. He's been such a trooper. After his surgery, we came home and crashed. It was the hardest thing leaving him but I know from my experience as a NICU nurse, and from the doctors counsel that yes, the first 24hrs are super critical and you want to be there right next to him- but is it really helpful for him and you sitting by his bedside, not being able to touch him or anything. I know that letting him be and just recover is the best thing for him but it was so hard.
We got to see him and kiss him about 2 hours after he came out of surgery. He looked amazing, his color was great, he was warm all the way to his toes, and he wasn't swollen. I was so happy with the way he looked, as was his surgeon who had called at least 3 times and checked in on him 2-3times. His nurse through the past 3 nights has been great too. I couldn't be happier with the doctors and nurses our Judah has had.
So we got a good nights rest and were trying to get out the door yesterday to go see him and things just started going wrong. The drain in the bathroom was giving us fits, we were out of food, and when we finally got on the road to go see our baby- we got rear ended by a drunk driver while sitting at a red light at 1300 in the afternoon. It was a mess. I was a mess. I was really emotional and all I wanted to do was see my son. Thank God we were okay and didn't need medical attention. It was actually a really good thing we got hit- there was a young girl in front of us on a motorcycle and if the woman who hit us would have hit her- she would have killed her. AND the girl on the bike was the chief of police's daughter... thank you God. We got things taken care of and got to go to see our Judah cub. We got there and he looked fantastic. He was still a little sedated but after we were there awhile he opened his eyes for a long time. He started having a hard time, arching his back, grunting so they gave him morphine, and a glycerine chip to help him move things along- it worked wonders. He wasn't too sure about eating but has since gotten the hang of it. They mentioned placing an NG tube if he didn't pick up the amount but he just needed a little more time. He's now taking about 2oz and increasing with each feed- PRAISE GOD!!!
Judah's chest tube came out yesterday morning, all of the pacer wires, the line directly into him atrium, his UVC line, the IV in his right foot, all his drips and IV fluids were all stopped today. I've had a rough day today. Before we left for the hospital I was pumping and felt a lump on my breast, so I got a heat pad and made it a goal to pump more often today. Got to the hospital, pumped and noticed bright red streaks on both breast with a ton of pain.... why hello double mastitis. Thank God the midwife in the delivery unit saw me, wrote me a prescription and said it was time to go home and get in bed- not what I wanted to hear. Since all the lines came out today we should be able to hold him tomorrow!!!!! He was wide awake for a little bit for his Daddy. When we came home i called to check on him and his breathing was a little shallow and he was having sats of low 90%s on high flow o2 100% (everything else looked good) so they did a chest xray. It looked a little hazy so they gave him an extra dose of lasix and he's doing great. I'll call in a few hours to recheck on him. He ate great this past feed, and is comfortable. i'm resting and just dying to hold him.
Thank you for your prayers. Please continue to pray for our Judah, his feeds, his breathing, and a quick recovery with no complications. We love you and will continue to update. *again- this was not proof read- I'm tired and only sleeping 2hrs at a time- hang in there with me :)
Jeez. You guys sure had a rough day. Glad you were all safe and hope you're getting better. I am looking forward to breastfeeding but am also very nervous!
ReplyDelete