We were very blessed in only having to be without power for a week and nothing else major. My Mom-in-law was in for the weekend to watch the kiddos so Ben and I could go to a Paul Tripp Marriage Conference (which was outstanding, couldn't recommend it enough). I aslo had to work 12hours on Sunday so she stayed and helped Ben out.
The whole way to work I kept seeing signs about NJ in a State of Emergency and that bridges and roads could be closed at anytime. I called Ben and had him check the weather to make sure it was really okay that I was driving. It was fine but he said about checking on only working 8hrs so I wouldn't be driving in the rain, late at night.
It was a great day at work, flew by, and I only stayed 8hrs. With the radio not working in the car, and us not having cable, we really didn't know much about Sandy. haha I know, I think we were the only people in NJ that didn't know there was a hurricane coming until 2 days prior. Anyways, closer I got to home the worse it got. When I finally started counting, I counted about 35 electric trucks from the midwest all making their way to NJ. I called Ben and if things got bad, he'd be going to base and staying until they told him it was okay to go home. He didn't want the kids and I to be alone, without power and him be on base. I got home and we talked to my Mom in law and we all agreed that the kids and I would leave with her that night.
We packed bags, cleaned out cars, and were on our way by 2100. Before getting on the turnpike paseed 18 ambulances caravaning North. I had been up since 0300 that morning so Brenda did all the driving. I was beat but couldn't let her drive 6hrs in silence. We got back to her house about 0300. We took my van back and left her car at our house since they were coming back out to ours the following weekend for a boxing match and the Steelers/Giants game, so it worked out great. God is great at planning details.
Ben lost power the next day and it didn't come back until this past Saturday. He was at work the whole time only coming home to sleep. Beretta went with him to work in case he couldn't get back home. There was no heat, no water, and no power. He was able to shower and eat at work. Once it finally stopped raining he did make a stove outside, I love my outdoors man.
Being away from Ben in the worst, but it was the right choice. The kiddos had a great time at Oma and Poppas, and getting to see Meemim and Poppa Marty too.
We booked the last room in the surrounding area on Friday so we'd have a place to stay over the weekend but praise God out power came back the next day and we even got our two free nights back and didn't have to pay for anything.
We lost everything in our fridge, freezer, and deep freezer. I think what bothered me the most about it was that I had 2 enormous bags of breast milk lost. We are very thankful that's all we lost and that we have a great insurance company that compensated our food spoilage. If you don't have renters insurance GET IT.
People are still without power, water, and heat. People have lost everything and are still in danger. Please keep them in your prayers.
No comments:
Post a Comment