Monday, March 2, 2015

Sweet Esmé Grace

My man and I regularly will turn to one another and ask, "Can you believe we have 3 kiddos?" Life is crazy, our home is lived in, and most of the time I have to ask Ben what I was doing or what was I going to go do? Sometimes it's really hard. Sometimes its really messy but it's where we are and I'm so very thankful.

On December 29th, a week overdue- our 3rd wild was born. We went to my 41 week appointment and decided to go up to labor and delivery to have my water broke since I was dilated and all that good stuff.

My OB called L&D and they said it was slow and to send me right over. Naturally, after we arrived the damn of pregnant women broke and the floor was flooded. I was admitted at 1030. Well, I was in my room and my induction was pushed back hour after hour. Didn't bother me- I knew baby was coming out soon.

As we waiting, I started having intense back pain. It keep coming closer and closer and more intense. When my midwife came in to check on me said, "sometimes I think the air in this place just puts women into labor- I'm not going to break your water because you're moving right along!!"

The contractions were strong but my back was killing me. When the wild man was born at 10 lbs- he herniated my L5 and S1.... I KNOW. Sooooo, that made for an enjoyable pregnancy and labor let me tell you!!! Anyways- the labor really didn't start till about 1630. My nurse and midwife suggested getting in to the Jacuzzi to help with my back pain. I was about 4-5 cm's. I got in and it. was. amazing. I was in the tub from 1700 to 1830. I was able to relax and my back got some relief.

About 1800 I could feel things changing. At first I tried to tell myself things were picking up- I still had a ways to go but then the contractions were every 4-5minutes apart. Ben went and grabbed my nurse and I got out of the tub. From 1830-1845 things really started getting intense. Its amazing what the body can do- a true miracle. My night shift nurse came in and said it was time to get in bed and get checked. I went from 4-5cms to 8-9cms. My water still hadn't broke and they weren't going to break it because my midwife said that things would go 0-60 if she did. She wanted to let my body set the pace.

The contractions were extremely intense but it was the back pain that I couldn't handle. I opted for the epidural. They called at 1915 and by 2015 he still wasn't there yet. I had joked with the nurses while they were getting everything ready for delivery that the baby was just going to come flying out when my water broke- like riding a wave. I should have known not to joke about such a thing because that's just what Esmé did. I was in the edge of the bed, contractions every minute, waiting for the epidural when I could feel my body transition. I was trying to hold off, I could feel the pressure of having to push but I was scared to as nuts as that sounds. I had a epidural with the wild woman after 25hrs of labor and 36 hours of no sleep. My doc said to get the epidural or get ready for a c-section. I got the epidural and a hour later Audrey was born. I choose to get an epidural with the wild man when I was 8 cms because I was already so worked up about what was going to happen after he was born. I was afraid of going natural- I didn't know how to do it. Praise God he knew my fears and took care of things in a big way.

When I sat up on the edge of the bed, I was sitting there while he got his tray ready and all of the sudden I felt like I was going to be torn apart and my water broke- more like exploded! haha I know that sounds terrible but it's what happened. As soon as my water broke she was coming. I told my nurse " I can feel the baby's head- the baby is coming NOW!" She threw me back on the bed, my head was on the headboard bent to the side. My midwife didn't have a chance to get gloves on. My water broke at 2030 and Esmé was born at 2033. It was insane. People were flying everywhere and then I didn't even know who was in the room. All I was aware of was that I had to push and my baby would be in my arms in seconds. I had to ask Ben when it was over if he was holding my leg!

I got her in my arms and couldn't believe her head full of black hair. The first two wilds were bald with blonde fuzz. Here was an 8lb 12oz 21inches long chubby baby girl with black hair. I was speechless. I had no idea how many people were in the room or really anything else until my nurse said, "she loosing a lot of blood, I need help" My midwife who I didn't know left, came back in and called for an injection to be brought in STAT. Things slowly got better after that but golly I lost a lot of blood. My Hgb went from 11.5 to 9.

Esmé didn't have a name for the first couple hours- we couldn't  decide if she was a Stella, a Grace, or an Esmé. From the get go she was such a good baby. She loved to eat, loved to sleep, loved being held, and had to be swaddled.












No comments:

Post a Comment