He went into his First Sgt's office and after awhile and some stressful 24hrs, he was able to get Ben emergency leave and tickets on a commercial flight to bring Audrey home, the next morning. We found out they were leaving less that 12hrs before the flight took off. Thank God for some dear friends that helped me pack Audrey's bag and keep me soo occupied while her and Ben were away. I can't even telll you how awful it was to have my baby and man an ocean away. The first two days were the worst but when Ben came back to Germany, it was alot better. Audrey did fantastic, actually I'm pretty sure she didn't even know I was gone. I did. And it was the hardest 4 days ever.
Okay back to now! Sorry I had a draft started and thought I'd include it. We've been home since the 17th of Feb and it's been a little crazy. Such is life huh? Ben and I flew out 17th and I will count that as one of the most amazing experiences of my life. The military medivac was unreal. The process started at 0700 that morning Germany time. I checked in, got vitals, asses by the nurse and doctor again and settled in for the many briefings ahead. I was blown away by the streamline organization, the care, and the process. I got to see first hand how the wounded warriors get home to the States. It was incredible. Incredible. We got through everything, loaded the bus and left for the flight line. They had everything down to a science including the way you exit the bus, walk up the ramp (or be carried on stretchers), and take you seat. They loaded the C-17 with the wounded warriors on the stretchers first. I wish I could have taken pictures. I was so proud of those service members and the way they preformed their job. Everyone knew their job perfectly. It was like watching a fine oiled machine- but so much better. They unloaded the bus and loaded the warriors onto these racks that bolted onto the floor of the plane. Each rack had 3 stretchers on it and I think there was about 10 of them.
I didn't have to go on a stretcher so we were on jump seats along the side of the plane. It wasn't as uncomfortable as I had thought or as Ben had prepared me for. We were given blankets, neck pillows, and more blankets for the flight. It was sort of warm at the front of the plane where we were and freezing cold at the back, so cold the water in the tracks of the loading ramp were frozen.
The flight nurses were incredible and I loved watching them work. They knew their patients and their job. I saw the complete definition of teamwork that day and won't ever forget it. The nursing crew was an Air Reserve unit from OK I believe. They were on a 4 month deployment and basically work round the clock. I got to talk to one of my nurses extensively who works in the cardiac ICU/recovery until at the Mayo clinic. He was telling me about all the baby's he'd taken care of after their Transposition of the Great Arteries surgery. It was a huge blessing to be able to talk to another nurse about that.
Anyways, a 10 hour flight later, I was finally able to take the ear plugs out (the worst part of trip) and breathe a little easier knowing we were home and that much closer to seeing my baby. As soon as we landed and the engines were turned off, a whole group of Navy, Air Force, Marine, and Army came on and started taking care of their people. I was given a name tag, my carry on unstrapped, and led off the plane into an armored ambulance on steroids. Ben and I both thought we'd be taken to some building, briefed, and then taken to the hospital or lodging. I was dreading it because it was 530 when we landed and knew how nuts the beltway was. Was not looking forward to the 2+ hours in a traffic jam. Was I in for a surprise. We got buckled in, they brought our checked bags in and said okay, we're heading to the hospital and will have you there in about 40 minutes. It was rush hour on 495 around DC. I think the Cpt. could see my surprise and said Mam' is everything okay? I asked what was happening and he told me we were going straight to the hospital to be seen by the doctor and then to our lodging. The ambulance ride was an experience all in it's self. The driver was driving all over the 4 lands shooting gaps and holes while yelling into his loud (really loud) speaker "MOVE OUT OF MY WAY, THIS IS AN AMBULANCE CARRYING COMBAT VETERANS, MOVE NOW" over and over again. I felt like I was in a movie or something. He flew down the rode yelling at specific vehicles and was true to his word, he had us there in less than 40minutes. The Capt had said that morning they had some guys who were in rough shape from down range and the driver had them to the hospital in 30minutes at 0730, on the beltway. It was amazing he said. haha It was such a blessing to see and be apart of.
Never, ever, do I want to receive a call that Ben has been hurt but if he was, I know that he will receive the absolute best care a person could receive.
After being up for 22hrs we got checked into our room and slept. My Mom, sister, and Grandma brought Audrey down the following morning. We had the weekend to get some sleep and catch up on some much needed Audrey time. Since Monday was a holiday, we had appointments on Tuesday. It was such a long day. I had three ultrasounds, met with baby's cardiologist, and a 2 hour meeting with a genetic counselor. At first they thought baby's ventricles were switched along with the arteries but the cardiologist feels pretty confident it's just the arteries. We got some more info about what will happen after baby's born. Baby will be transported to Children's Hospital of DC to have surgery because Walter Reed doesn't have a pediatric cardiothorasic surgeon. I felt that panic creeping up again. The doctor said that the surgeon who would be preforming the operation on baby was the very doctor who pioneered the surgery 20yrs ago. Praise God. He also said the Childrens' hospital just finished the remodeling of the cardiac recovery unit last month and was unbelievable. He also said that we will be taken there to meet the the Doctors and nurses, tour the hospital and unit where baby will be. Baby will have surgery as quickly as possible, ddepending how baby does once the cord is cut.
We'll also have to wait until closer time to find out about where they will have me deliver. There is a hospital right across the road form the children's hospital that they would have deliver at if they think baby will need surgery ASAP. They want to keep baby and I at Watler Reed then either life flight baby to the children's hospital a day or few after birth if possible. They said if there any kind of inclination that baby won't do well, they won't take a chance and will have me go downtown. I'd prefer to stay with my doctors and what I'm familiar with but whatever baby needs- we will do. I'm so thankful for our doctors and for Walter Reed. The hospital is amazing and I love the care we're getting. They know me through and through. Baby looks great, long arms and legs, measuring a week ahead!! Praise God!!!
We went back this past Tuesday and had another appointment and got to tour the L&D and got some more info. Baby looks great and we don't have to go back for another 3 wks! Along with the high risk OB appointment, baby and I will both have our cardiologist appointments.
Our meeting with the genetic counselor was overwhelming. Here the amino results weren't exactly normal. Baby has some "interesting" different chromosomes. Simply put, 3 of the chromosome are swapping different pieces amongst each other. She said that usually, it only happens with 2 chromosomes but with our baby, it's three. They don't really know what that means right now, they may not even know until baby's a few years old and more testing. They did keep saying learning disabilities and so on. I got to the point where I was like okay enough. I know you need to tell me all the things that could be but I just can't hear anymore. I'm overwhelmed and frankly don't care if baby has any disabilities. Let us tackle baby's surgery and post-up then we can move on from there. Learning disabilities is the least of my worries, LEAST. LEAST. It was a long day.
We're doing pretty good, just waiting on orders and praying they get approved. They could actually deny us orders and make us wait until baby is born to start the whole process over again and possible still not have orders when baby is discharged. I wonder if they've ever brought a cardiac post-op newborn home to a hotel room with a 2yr old? Please pray our orders are approved and we can start looking for a house to get settled into before baby is born and the real stress begins. Thanks so much for your prayers!
I know this is a crazy long post but I needed to get some updates on here. Please excuse the grammar and everything. I didn't not go back and proof read this- I'm tired and want to get to bed :)
Okay back to now! Sorry I had a draft started and thought I'd include it. We've been home since the 17th of Feb and it's been a little crazy. Such is life huh? Ben and I flew out 17th and I will count that as one of the most amazing experiences of my life. The military medivac was unreal. The process started at 0700 that morning Germany time. I checked in, got vitals, asses by the nurse and doctor again and settled in for the many briefings ahead. I was blown away by the streamline organization, the care, and the process. I got to see first hand how the wounded warriors get home to the States. It was incredible. Incredible. We got through everything, loaded the bus and left for the flight line. They had everything down to a science including the way you exit the bus, walk up the ramp (or be carried on stretchers), and take you seat. They loaded the C-17 with the wounded warriors on the stretchers first. I wish I could have taken pictures. I was so proud of those service members and the way they preformed their job. Everyone knew their job perfectly. It was like watching a fine oiled machine- but so much better. They unloaded the bus and loaded the warriors onto these racks that bolted onto the floor of the plane. Each rack had 3 stretchers on it and I think there was about 10 of them.
I didn't have to go on a stretcher so we were on jump seats along the side of the plane. It wasn't as uncomfortable as I had thought or as Ben had prepared me for. We were given blankets, neck pillows, and more blankets for the flight. It was sort of warm at the front of the plane where we were and freezing cold at the back, so cold the water in the tracks of the loading ramp were frozen.
The flight nurses were incredible and I loved watching them work. They knew their patients and their job. I saw the complete definition of teamwork that day and won't ever forget it. The nursing crew was an Air Reserve unit from OK I believe. They were on a 4 month deployment and basically work round the clock. I got to talk to one of my nurses extensively who works in the cardiac ICU/recovery until at the Mayo clinic. He was telling me about all the baby's he'd taken care of after their Transposition of the Great Arteries surgery. It was a huge blessing to be able to talk to another nurse about that.
Anyways, a 10 hour flight later, I was finally able to take the ear plugs out (the worst part of trip) and breathe a little easier knowing we were home and that much closer to seeing my baby. As soon as we landed and the engines were turned off, a whole group of Navy, Air Force, Marine, and Army came on and started taking care of their people. I was given a name tag, my carry on unstrapped, and led off the plane into an armored ambulance on steroids. Ben and I both thought we'd be taken to some building, briefed, and then taken to the hospital or lodging. I was dreading it because it was 530 when we landed and knew how nuts the beltway was. Was not looking forward to the 2+ hours in a traffic jam. Was I in for a surprise. We got buckled in, they brought our checked bags in and said okay, we're heading to the hospital and will have you there in about 40 minutes. It was rush hour on 495 around DC. I think the Cpt. could see my surprise and said Mam' is everything okay? I asked what was happening and he told me we were going straight to the hospital to be seen by the doctor and then to our lodging. The ambulance ride was an experience all in it's self. The driver was driving all over the 4 lands shooting gaps and holes while yelling into his loud (really loud) speaker "MOVE OUT OF MY WAY, THIS IS AN AMBULANCE CARRYING COMBAT VETERANS, MOVE NOW" over and over again. I felt like I was in a movie or something. He flew down the rode yelling at specific vehicles and was true to his word, he had us there in less than 40minutes. The Capt had said that morning they had some guys who were in rough shape from down range and the driver had them to the hospital in 30minutes at 0730, on the beltway. It was amazing he said. haha It was such a blessing to see and be apart of.
Never, ever, do I want to receive a call that Ben has been hurt but if he was, I know that he will receive the absolute best care a person could receive.
After being up for 22hrs we got checked into our room and slept. My Mom, sister, and Grandma brought Audrey down the following morning. We had the weekend to get some sleep and catch up on some much needed Audrey time. Since Monday was a holiday, we had appointments on Tuesday. It was such a long day. I had three ultrasounds, met with baby's cardiologist, and a 2 hour meeting with a genetic counselor. At first they thought baby's ventricles were switched along with the arteries but the cardiologist feels pretty confident it's just the arteries. We got some more info about what will happen after baby's born. Baby will be transported to Children's Hospital of DC to have surgery because Walter Reed doesn't have a pediatric cardiothorasic surgeon. I felt that panic creeping up again. The doctor said that the surgeon who would be preforming the operation on baby was the very doctor who pioneered the surgery 20yrs ago. Praise God. He also said the Childrens' hospital just finished the remodeling of the cardiac recovery unit last month and was unbelievable. He also said that we will be taken there to meet the the Doctors and nurses, tour the hospital and unit where baby will be. Baby will have surgery as quickly as possible, ddepending how baby does once the cord is cut.
We'll also have to wait until closer time to find out about where they will have me deliver. There is a hospital right across the road form the children's hospital that they would have deliver at if they think baby will need surgery ASAP. They want to keep baby and I at Watler Reed then either life flight baby to the children's hospital a day or few after birth if possible. They said if there any kind of inclination that baby won't do well, they won't take a chance and will have me go downtown. I'd prefer to stay with my doctors and what I'm familiar with but whatever baby needs- we will do. I'm so thankful for our doctors and for Walter Reed. The hospital is amazing and I love the care we're getting. They know me through and through. Baby looks great, long arms and legs, measuring a week ahead!! Praise God!!!
We went back this past Tuesday and had another appointment and got to tour the L&D and got some more info. Baby looks great and we don't have to go back for another 3 wks! Along with the high risk OB appointment, baby and I will both have our cardiologist appointments.
Our meeting with the genetic counselor was overwhelming. Here the amino results weren't exactly normal. Baby has some "interesting" different chromosomes. Simply put, 3 of the chromosome are swapping different pieces amongst each other. She said that usually, it only happens with 2 chromosomes but with our baby, it's three. They don't really know what that means right now, they may not even know until baby's a few years old and more testing. They did keep saying learning disabilities and so on. I got to the point where I was like okay enough. I know you need to tell me all the things that could be but I just can't hear anymore. I'm overwhelmed and frankly don't care if baby has any disabilities. Let us tackle baby's surgery and post-up then we can move on from there. Learning disabilities is the least of my worries, LEAST. LEAST. It was a long day.
We're doing pretty good, just waiting on orders and praying they get approved. They could actually deny us orders and make us wait until baby is born to start the whole process over again and possible still not have orders when baby is discharged. I wonder if they've ever brought a cardiac post-op newborn home to a hotel room with a 2yr old? Please pray our orders are approved and we can start looking for a house to get settled into before baby is born and the real stress begins. Thanks so much for your prayers!
I know this is a crazy long post but I needed to get some updates on here. Please excuse the grammar and everything. I didn't not go back and proof read this- I'm tired and want to get to bed :)
Hooray! The post I have been waiting for. I'm so glad you and your family are where you need to be right now. It seems like you are in the best possible place and it's truly a blessing that you and baby will be cared for so deeply. You can count on my prayers girl! Take care sweetheart and keep in touch!
ReplyDelete